The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Matthew 18:15-20 - The Rev. Colette Hammesfahr

 

September 6, 2026 - Matthew 18:15-20

I want to take you back to last Sunday’s sermon for a second. In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus talked about taking up our cross and what that looks like. We learned that carrying the cross isn’t about looking for ways to suffer. It’s what happens when we choose to love deeply enough that we are willing to accept that love will sometimes cost us something.

In Romans, Paul described what genuine love is and what that kind of love looks like in our relationships with one another. He told the Romans to love one another with mutual affection. Contribute to the needs of others. Extend hospitality to strangers. Rejoice with those who rejoice. Weep with those who weep. Don't repay evil with evil. If your enemy is hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.

Today, we continue in Romans, and now Paul is telling us what genuine love looks like. “Owe no one anything, except to love one another.” And Matthew gives us very practical instructions for what love looks like when relationships become difficult.

Last week was about what we are called to do. This week, Jesus begins to show us how to do it. We move from “Let love be genuine” to a much harder question: What does genuine love do when somebody hurts somebody?

At the Wednesday healing service, we talked a lot about love and forgiveness. In today’s Gospel, Jesus tells us, “If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault.” A question was asked, “If we forgive, do we have to forget?” Does the other person have to accept that we’ve forgiven them? Someone said that when we forgive, we sometimes have to set up boundaries so we aren’t hurt again.

After the service, I read something that turned the whole passage around for me. What if I’m the other member? What if someone comes to me and says, “You hurt me?”

Every car has a blind spot. You can check your mirrors. You can be paying attention. You can genuinely believe the lane beside you is clear. Yet, as you begin to move over into the other lane, you can still hear a horn. The frightening thing about a blind spot is that you don’t know what you can’t see.

When that horn sounds, you have a choice. You can get angry at the person blowing the horn. You can yell, “I checked my mirror!” You can try to justify things by maybe saying they shouldn’t have been driving there in the first place. Or you can realize and admit that there was something there that you couldn’t see.

I wonder if relationships have blind spots too. We can be very certain of our intentions: “I didn’t mean anything by that.” “I was only joking.” “I was trying to help.” “That’s not what I said.” “That’s not what I meant.” And all the while, the other person is saying, “But you hurt me.”

Jesus says, “If another member sins against you, go and tell them.” Immediately, most of us think about all the people who have hurt us. But what if we are the person on the other side of that conversation? What if someone is trying to show us something about ourselves that we cannot see?

Paul tells the Romans, “Love does no wrong to a neighbor.” That doesn’t mean loving people perfectly. We won’t. It means that love cares enough about the neighbor to ask, “Is there something I’m not seeing?”

Henri Nouwen once admitted, “I always thought that everybody else was making it hard on me until I found out that everybody saw that I made it hard on them and that I need as much to be forgiven as to forgive.”[1]

I think that is one of our spiritual blind spots. We know the ways other people have hurt us. We remember the words they said. We remember what they did. But are we equally aware of the ways we may have hurt them? The easy question is, “Who has offended me?” The harder question is, “Whom have I offended?”

One of the hardest things about being told we have hurt someone is that we immediately want to explain what we intended. But the person who has been hurt isn't necessarily questioning our intentions. They are telling us about the impact.

This is where we get to the most important part of what Jesus is teaching us. It isn’t about who was right and who was wrong. It isn’t even the offense itself. It’s what Jesus says should happen next: “If the member listens to you, you have regained that one.”

Regained.

That’s an interesting word. Jesus doesn’t say, “Then you have proven your point.” He doesn’t say, “Then they will know you were right.” He doesn’t even say, “Then you will get the apology you deserve.” He says, “You have regained that one.” Because the goal of this conversation isn’t winning. The goal is relationship.

Henri Nouwen said that “community is always a place of forgiveness. Always.”[2] Not because healthy communities never hurt one another, but because they do. We misunderstand one another. We disappoint one another. We say things we wish we could take back. We fail to see our own blind spots. And sometimes we hurt people we genuinely love.

What is important is what we do when that happens. It’s easy to turn away from someone who has hurt us. Jesus is saying we should go toward one another, not away from one another.

Paul writes, “Owe no one anything, except to love one another.” We owe one another because we belong to one another. I owe you enough love to tell you when you have hurt me. And I owe you enough love to listen when you tell me that I have hurt you. Neither one is easy.

Sometimes we tell ourselves that love means keeping the peace. We don’t want to make things uncomfortable. We don’t want to cause trouble. We don’t want to risk the relationship. So sometimes we say nothing. But we don’t really say nothing, do we? We replay the conversation in our heads. We begin avoiding the person. We become a little colder. A little more distant. And eventually, something that might have been healed by one honest conversation becomes a wall between two people.

Jesus offers another way. Go to the person. Not to embarrass them. Not to gather allies. Not to win. Go because the relationship matters.

But there is another side to this. If someone has enough courage to come to us, we have to have enough humility to listen. And listening does not mean we have to agree with everything they say. It doesn’t mean every accusation is true. It doesn’t mean we can’t explain ourselves. It simply means that before we defend ourselves, we need to be willing to ask, “Is there something here I need to hear?”

Maybe I didn’t mean to hurt you. But maybe I did. Maybe my intention was good. But maybe my words weren’t. Maybe I remember the conversation differently. But maybe there is something in your experience that I need to understand. That is hard work.

I believe that is part of taking up the cross that Jesus talked about last week. Because sometimes what love costs us is our need to be right. Sometimes what love costs us is our pride. Sometimes what love costs us is the comfortable story we have been telling ourselves about what happened. And sometimes love asks us to say two of the hardest words in the English language: “I’m sorry.”

But forgiveness doesn’t mean pretending something never happened or that there are never consequences. Forgiveness doesn’t mean that every relationship must go back to exactly the way it was before. Sometimes love requires boundaries.

Jesus himself seems to recognize that not every attempt at reconciliation will succeed. The person may not listen. The relationship may remain broken despite our best efforts. We can’t force another person to reconcile with us. We can’t force another person to forgive us. We can’t force another person to admit that they hurt us. And we can’t always restore a relationship to what it once was.

But we can choose what kind of person we will be in the midst of the brokenness. We can choose not to return evil for evil. We can choose not to humiliate. We can choose to listen. We can choose to speak truthfully. We can choose to forgive. We can choose love.

And then Jesus ends this teaching with words we know well: “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” We usually hear those words as a comforting promise about worship. Even if only a few people show up, Jesus is still there. And that is comforting. But look at where Jesus says it. He says it in the middle of a teaching about conflict. About hurt. About difficult conversations. About trying to regain someone.

Jesus is telling us something important. Christ is not only present when we gather around this altar. Christ is present when two people sit across from one another and try to tell the truth. Christ is there when someone finds the courage to say, “You hurt me.” Christ is there when the other person has the humility to say, “Tell me more.” Christ is there when someone says, “I was wrong.” Christ is there when someone says, “I forgive you.” Christ is even there when reconciliation is not yet possible, but we refuse to stop choosing love.

“Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”

Last week Paul told us, “Let love be genuine.” This week he tells us, “Owe no one anything, except to love one another.” Love is the one debt we never finish paying. So perhaps this week, instead of only asking, “Who has hurt me?” we might have the courage to ask the harder question: “Whom have I hurt?”

Is there someone who has been trying to blow the horn, trying to show us something that we haven’t been able—or willing—to see? And if there is, maybe genuine love begins simply by being willing to listen. Because the goal is not to win. The goal is not to be right. The goal, Jesus says, is to regain one another. And that may be one of the ways we take up our cross and follow him. Amen.

 



[1] Henri J. M. Nouwen, “Finding Our Sacred Center,” address given in Mobile, Alabama, 1994, transcript and audio, Henri Nouwen Society, Now & Then, January 1, 2022.

[2] Nouwen, “Finding Our Sacred Center.”

Comments