The Fifth Sunday of Easter - Jennifer Calver

 Praise Him, Praise Him All Ye Little Children, God is Love, God is Love

Love Him, Love Him All Ye Little Children, God is Love, God is Love

Serve Him, Serve Him All Ye Little Children, God is Love, God is Love

The song we sang when we welcomed Genevieve after her Baptism at St. Thomas almost 18 years ago. I recall being such a proud mother to walk her down the aisle and show her off to this congregation, many of you whom were present that morning.

I also recall a Sunday, that truly feels not so long ago, I was on altar duty and cleaning up after the 10:00 AM service. I vividly recall standing with my mother while we were washing the chalices, plates, and other precious items. Suddenly this feeling overcame me that something was not right. There were no visual or audible signs, just this extreme feeling. I told her that I had to go, that something was not right and I took off to the Parish Hall. I flew through the entry near the office, came upon Tim Garner with wide eyes and my father on his knees with toddler age Genevieve in the entry way. She was holding her throat and starting to change color. My father had just found her and I immediately grabbed her, threw her over my knee and began the Heimlich maneuver. What felt like 10 minutes was probably 10 seconds, but a peppermint came flying out of her throat almost entirely in one piece. Now Genevieve had taken plenty of peppermints from his pocket before, but dear Tommy Martin never wanted to carry a peppermint in his pocket again. Tommy was so upset and I remember being overcome with so much emotion to calm him because God was present and I had felt it. Every part of me was praising Him and Loving Him and promising to Serve Him for keeping this child safe.

It wasn’t long after that I participated in a Young Parent’s program at St. Thomas and we discussed methods of raising our young children in this day in age. I recall ranting about this young child who refused to sleep and was so independent and I can literally recall Andrea Epting giving advice and others telling me how much I would appreciate her independence one day. I don’t think Andrea or I ever would have predicted covid and the curtails that our children would experience in their teenage years. Oh, what we thought were struggles as young parents.

As we both raised young children in this church, we participated in Young Family conversations that questioned whether or not we were offering our young children enough at St. Thomas. We watched as families came and went and stayed. I personally recall many conversations with my own parents debating what I should do, were we making the right choice and was this church enough for our kids. At the end of the day, I could never leave that pew. That was my choice and I’m not judging anyone else that thought their kids needed more. I stand here today though and it’s hard not to look at these two fine young people and think how silly those thoughts were.

While Greyson was baptized where his mother was Confirmed, he was undoubtedly already an active member while she attended St. Thomas during her pregnancy. Greyson and Genevieve collectively combined participated in the Nursery, JAMers, First Communion, Vacation Bible School, Acolytes, Sunday School, Young Singers, Sunday School of Rock, Confirmation, Fashion Shows, Wednesday Night Suppers, Appalachia Mission Trip, Pilgrimage, Crab Tournaments, Tshirt designs, building playground equipment, New Beginnings, Honey Creek Camp, Happening, Youth Sundays, piano solos, weddings, funerals, and oh, the baptisms. Such joy when they were little and excited to come to the front of the church to welcome the newly baptized.

Over the years we have learned that Greyson’s favorite holiday must absolutely be Easter Sunday and Genevieve’s must be the special visit from St. Nicholas. They both have found pleasure behind the scenes bringing joy to others.

One of my greatest challenges as a young parent was teaching these two Sunday School. I can relate to Saul from this morning’s reading reacting to the people who had covered their ears and were shouting and stoning Stephen, who cried, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” Ha! I will never forget their chalkboard antics. They were covered in chalk before class even started. If Greyson wasn’t debating the version of the story that I had been given (by the Sunday School literature I might add), he was doodling on his worksheets, while Genevieve was literally in a cabinet or complaining about the snacks.

This church will never forget how during a Bishop visit, the Bishop called the youth to the front of the church and Greyson promptly seated himself in the Bishop’s chair. I also laugh now that Ruby Grey used to be the meanest girl on the playground and how would Genevieve ever survive. For those of you that don’t know, they did become great friends! Oh, times were so tough.

Last Sunday I found myself in the Continuing Education Building where you will find pictures over the past 10 years of these two. As I returned to church, I became further unfocused and started searching the Prayer Book. I was looking for prayers for graduates and instead found myself thinking of all of the prayers that I was going to need as a mother to get through the next few months. As our Psalms read this morning, “Be my strong rock”, “My times are in your hand”, and as our Gospel read, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”

Greyson and Genevieve, you have spent 18 years in this church. You have left your marks through your many talents and gifts and presence. Greyson, I understand that your doodling is already taking you great places but I hope you always seek the center chair. Genevieve, I hope that you always cause a stir behind the scenes and make no haste to exude your independence on every stage that life takes you. And if you do start to feel alone or scared or uncertain of your choices, lean on your faith, lean on your first 18 years and your parents who had those same feelings and fell to their knees in fervent hope and prayer. You are both so loved. Your parents and this church are so proud of you. Go. Go conquer the world, just please stay away from hard candy. Then, come back. This is your home and we will be waiting to celebrate with you all that may come.

Comments

Popular Posts