Ash Wednesday - Rev. Aimee Baxter:

I have a confession to make. I have been known at times to be a little “extra”. I have the propensity to go big or go home.

I saw a meme recently that read something like this, “I’m done trying to be nonchalant. I am a chalant woman. I have never been chill not once in my life, even when I am asleep I am clenching my teeth.”  

I have honestly never felt so seen.

I tell you all this to say that when seasons like Lent approach, I have to resist everything in me to be too extra about it. I’ve confessed to you all before that Ash Wednesday and Lent are my jam, so my natural proclivity is to go all in on it.

I will find the best devotionals (maybe even two or three), commit to giving up something really good - much more creative than chocolate or soda, and I will implore all those around me, including you guys, to join me in this crusade to have the best Lent ever!

I’m not quite sure that’s what Lent is about. I’m pretty sure that Lent is not about me at all.

Perhaps this is what Isaiah was referring to in our reading for today. The first part of Isaiah lets us know that God is adamantly opposed to the type of fasting that makes us feel good about ourselves. One that is done only for show.

We’ve been studying Matthew with a group on Wednesday nights. Repeatedly, Jesus is calling out the religious rulers for the ways that they are putting their faith on display. We see that critique in our gospel for today.

Beyond that, Jesus is frustrated with the religious leaders who seem to be heaping demands and rules on the people as to the “best” and “most holy” ways to be faithful. The burden of doing everything exactly right is too much for the people to bear. Jesus reminds the people in Matthew, “My yoke is easy and my burden is light”.

I’m left to wonder: how do we engage this season where we’re called to turn inward and be introspective without burdening ourselves with unnecessary restrictions that rob us of experiencing the peace of God?

Isaiah helps us out again.

The fast that God chooses is one that loosens the bonds of injustice, lifts the yoke, frees the oppressed. This fast is about sharing our bread with the hungry, offering shelter to the homeless, and clothing the naked.

The fast that God requires is about freedom, not burdens. And the results are light in the darkness, refreshment in parched places, and restoration for the broken.

How do we do that? I think it starts with honesty. Honesty about how we are feeling, what we truly need, and where we’re at spiritually. Honesty about the needs of the people around us, our community, and the world.

One of the Lenten resources we’ve picked out for this year is entitled, Bless the Lent We Actually Have, by Kate Bowler. We picked it out because outside of Kate being really smart and quite funny, she has a radical candor that is refreshing.

She writes, “Frankly, Lent is my favorite part of the church calendar because it is a time when the whole church is on the losing team. A time when we all get a minute to tell the truth: Life is so beautiful and life is so hard. For everyone.”

She goes on to say, “Of course the cross isn’t the end of the story, but this season of grief is carved out to acknowledge the reality of Christ’s sacrifice. And the reality of suffering that so many of our circumstances reflect – our own pain, grief and despair. Easter is coming, yes. But for now we sit in the ashes of our broken dreams and broken hearts, knowing that God sits here with us…Lent is an incredible moment to practice spiritual honesty.”

Something sobering about the honesty of the ashes placed on your forehead reminding you that you are dust. It is a symbol of truth that gives us pause.

This Lent, may we be honest with ourselves about who we are as a children of God.

May we find ways to help us draw near to God. If it’s taking something away or adding a spiritual practice, may it be done in a way that honors God and not our own self-righteousness.

May we be truthful about the needs of others and do what we can to relieve their burdens and offer freedom.

May God bless the Lent we actually have. Amen.

 

Comments

Popular Posts