The Day of Pentecost - Rev. Aimee Baxter

When we discussed our preaching schedule and decided I would preach Pentecost, I teased Rev. Melanie about someone who was raised United Methodist as a child, attended two different Baptist churches as a teen, found her way back to the UMC by way of the charismatic college movement Campus Crusade for Christ and now serves in the Episcopal Church, bringing the word on Pentecost Sunday. Don’t worry, I’ve assured her and I’ll assure you, there won’t be too many shouts of “Can I get an Amen?” or snake handling today.

But really, when you think about it, that’s what this day is about – being together as ALL of the people of God in one place to celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. Surely that deserves a little bit of hootin’ and hollerin’.

The beauty of the Holy Spirit is that she falls on each of us and meets us where we are. The Spirit is universal. Not one denomination or people can claim the Spirit. This gift is for all of us. On Pentecost, all the people from every nation under heaven were filled with the Holy Spirit. This gift from Christ to us is an arms wide open, no exclusions gift to the world.  

Something that generous and life-changing has a way of shaking things up. As we see on the Day of Pentecost long ago and even now, the Spirit has a way of unsettling us. She is a paradox of sorts – a combination of unpredictability, but reliable. Our comforter, yet the one who challenges us. You can count on the Holy Spirit to show up in the moments you need her most and in the moments you least expect it.

A dream that leads to hearing from God.

Just the right person in your path on a hard day.

A note in the mail that comes at the perfect time.

A chance encounter with a random stranger.

Within our first week of moving to Savannah, we were downtown at the train museum. We moved in the summer so it was hot and everyone was getting cranky. Shannon and I stood in line with our youngest who was two years old at the time. He was clingy and a toddler on the verge of naptime. We exchanged pleasantries with a woman in line in front of us.

And then, it happened. 

The woman turned around and asked if she could pray for our son, Asa.

I won’t lie, it felt a little odd but the Spirit in me said, “Absolutely.” She prayed the most beautiful prayer over him and I found myself in tears hugging this random stranger after she was done. She asked me his name and when I told her responded, “Oh, he’s a king in the Bible. That baby’s gonna be a king someday!”

What she didn’t know as she prayed for us was that we were in a brand new town, navigating all the things that come with a move. And in particular that our youngest was still in foster care at the time and we had no idea what his future looked like. Everything was scary and overwhelming. We didn't know anyone. We felt alone. And yet, the Spirit showed up in the form of a stranger and reassured us with the comforting presence from God and a Word over our boy that declared his place in the world.

The Holy Spirit showed up for us that day as the Comforter and Advocate that Jesus promised.

We can also look at our lives and see the times when the Holy Spirit has shown up to challenge us. This work of the Spirit helps us see new possibilities and a way forward we often haven’t considered. And once again as surely as we know the Spirit is with us, her unpredictability knocks us off our feet.

The summer before my Senior year at Auburn, I worked as the Home Missioner for the Auburn Wesley Foundation. My main job was to be the representative at the freshmen orientations for all the campus ministries and sort through the religious preference cards and disburse them to their appropriate places. It was a wonderful ecumenical experience for me.

One afternoon as I was delivering the cards to the Episcopalian priest, he asked me what my plans were after graduation. I expressed that I wasn’t 100% sure but I saw myself doing some type of service work like counseling or teaching.

Then, it happened. He asked, “You know women can be ordained ministers, right?”

My response: “Yeah, yeah I know.”

On the walk back to the Wesley Foundation, I thought to myself I’m pretty sure that’s the first time anyone has ever said that to me as clearly and convincingly. I knew women were ministers, but for the first time I saw myself as one.

I walked straight into my campus minister’s office, told him about my conversation and announced my intent to begin the ordination process. He laughed and exclaimed, “I’ve been waiting for you to tell me.”

Isn’t the Spirit fun? My calling can be traced to an Episcopalian priest and now here I stand as a United Methodist Deacon in the midst of my favorite Episcopalians on the planet.

Life is fully immersed and bathed with the gift of the Holy Spirit. As our Eucharistic prayer reminds us, the Holy Spirit completes the work of Jesus in the world. Our work in collaboration with the Holy Spirit is as Paul Harvey would say, “the rest of the story…”

Simply put our story as the people of God is how the Spirit moves in, through and around us. I am convinced even more so after reading Bishop Michael Curry’s book, Love is the Way, the best depiction of that movement of the Spirit is love.

Love guided the woman in line in front of me.

Love spoke through the priest into my life.

Love is the essence of all the chance encounters and nudges we experience.

Love in and through us is the Spirit at work in the world.

Bishop Curry writes: “We are (all) hungry for love. No matter our state or condition. Beyond our national identities and loyalties, beyond our political sympathies and ideologies, beyond our religious and spiritual convictions and commitments, there is a universal hunger at the heart of every human being: to love and be loved. That love is truly ecumenical, truly universal. That love knows no borders, no limitations, no divisions or differences of race, class, caste, nationality, ethnic origin, political affiliation, or religious conviction. That love can break down every barrier that blocks the way to the realization of the beloved community.”

His explanation sounds so much like the day of Pentecost. They were all together, speaking their own language but understanding each other. Amazed at what the Spirit was doing.

“Come. Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful and kindle in us the fire of Your love. Send forth Your Spirit and we shall be created. And you shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, Who by the light of the Holy Spirit did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy Your consolations. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.”

Comments

Popular Posts